William White Clark, or “Colonel” Clark was a wealthy man of Covington, and definitely left his mark on Covington history. He and his wife, Boddie Conyers, built their magnificent estate, where they spent their life together. Clark’s Grove was the name of this home. Once a Manual Labor School campus in 1835, the Clark’s made one of the many dormitories their home.
While their home is still to this day a beautiful residence, it was once home to a tragic shooting in Covington’s history during the Civil War. George H. Daniel was escorted to Clark’s Grove, and under orders of General Sherman, General Kenner Garrard of the Second Calvary Division shot him.
After the Civil War, many renovations were made to the Clark’s estate. Two-story columns were erected on the front porch, along with many other porches being added to other buildings that make this estate memorable to Covington history. Many other renovations were made during this time. Eventually, William Clark passed in 1883, and his wife in 1902. The estate remained in the family for their offspring, as well. The majority of the Clark family are buried in Covington City Cemetery.
Eventually, Clark’s Grove was passed out of the Clark family. In 1925, Covington Mills purchased the property for around $6,500, which would be a little over $84,000 with inflation today. During this time it was the host site for many memorable galas, dances, and balls. This building was actually burned in the 30’s, bringing an end to this era of Covington’s history.
A Mrs. Louly Turner Fowler purchased the property for $2,000 in the year 1938. Her and her husband, Mrs. Robert R. Fowler, erected a beautiful house with square columns, and made many additions and renovations to accommodate their three children. To this day, Clark’s Grove is a great place for sightseeing in GA, and is a community of Southern architecture, and a big part of Covington history. For more information on this beautiful landmark, visit their site here.