Christmas is coming! It’s that time of year when we anticipate family and friends coming together to encourage one another and be inspired by the season of giving. The festive ambiance the holiday events in Covington and Newton County provide make the area a perfect destination for your Christmas vacation.
Take in the festive scenery while enjoying a carriage ride! Enjoy the sights to see at the parade, have photos taken with Santa, and visit homes decked out for the season during a candlelight tour. We’ve got a list of activities that make it easy to plan your Christmas vacation in Covington and Newton County.
The Lighting of Downtown Covington
Watching a Christmas tree when it is first lit up is nothing but pure magic! In November, the Lighting of Downtown Covington will brighten everyone’s spirits when the square comes alive with over 150,000 twinkling lights. During the lighting ceremony, you’ll enjoy performances by children’s choirs and local musicians. Businesses will offer holiday specials so you can begin your Christmas shopping. And we all know that the magic of the season wouldn’t be complete without the jolly laughter and cheer from Santa. Get your cameras ready to take photos of Saint Nicholas with the kids.
· November 21: Lighting of Downtown Covington from 6pm to 8pm in the Square
Another chance to see the wonder of a tree lighting is in December in Social Circle, also in Newton County. You’ll have the complete Christmas experience visiting Santa, going on train rides, creating crafts, listening in delight to the carolers, shopping at downtown stores, and more.
· December 6: Social Circle Christmas & Tree Lighting from 6pm to 8pm in Friendship Park
Shopping, Santa and Carriage Rides
During your Christmas vacation, plan on visiting the many restaurants and shops around the Square in Covington. As you look for that unique gift for your special someone, take a leisurely walk in the brisk air while being surrounded by the beautiful, festive scenery. Bring the family when Santa arrives, join us for a scavenger hunt, or have a romantic night out with dinner and a carriage ride.
· Multiple Dates: Photos with Santa, November 21 from 7pm to 9:30pm, and November 24, November 30, December 1, December 14 and December 15 from 1pm to 5pm (location TBA)
· December 14: Main Street Covington's Christmas Scavenger Hunt, from 2pm to 4pm in the Square
· Thursdays in December: Candlelight & Carriages, December 5, December 12, and December 19 from 6pm to 9pm, with downtown merchants having extended shopping hours
Downtown Covington offers many fun holiday traditions during the season, from watching the Christmas Parade to witnessing the reenactment of the Live Nativity. Watch as the parade makes its way through the downtown area with marching bands, costumes, and floats. Make plans to stay for the after party where you’ll find various fun activities for the entire family. For true inspiration, return the next day when the Covington First United Methodist Church brings the story of Christ’s birth to life.
· December 7: The Christmas Parade presented by the Covington Lions Club, 10am to 12pm, downtown
· December 7: Christmas Parade After Party, 1pm to 4pm, on the Square
· December 8: Live Nativity, begins at 6pm, on the Square
Celebration with Our Carnival
Come enjoy the street carnival with free amusement park games, a petting zoo, food and fun. This new event in Downtown Covington will be a highlight to everyone’s Christmas vacation!
· December 13: Covington Christmas Carnival, 6pm to 9 pm, in Downtown Covington
Holiday Tours and Shows
One of the most festive things to do during the holiday season is taking a tour of homes decorated with wreaths and bows, seeing The Nutcracker, or going to a holiday show. You don’t want to miss these events!
· December 5: Covington Candlelight Christmas Home Tourhosted by Satsuki Garden Club, 4pm to 8pm, Downtown Covington
· December Dates: Christmas at Porter presented by Oxford Singers, December 6 from 7pm to 8pm and December 9 from 3pm to 4pm, Porter Performing Arts Center
· December 9: Sounds of the Holidays presented by Newton County Community Band, 7:30pm to 8:30 pm at Eastside High School
· December 12: Covington-Conyers Choral Guild, 8pm to 9pm, First Baptist Church of Covington
· December Dates: The Nutcracker presented by Covington Regional Ballet, December 14 from 2pm to 4pm and 7pm to 9pm, December 15 from 3pm to 5pm, Porter Performing Arts Center
· December 19: Cookies with Santa presented by Young Artist Programs, 6:30pm to 7:30pm, Porter Performing Arts Center
As you can see from all the events and activities, our community is transformed into a joyous wonderland during the holiday season. Contact the Newton County Visitors Bureau for more information to assist in planning your Christmas vacation.